Monday, March 15, 2010
The Best Lemon Cupcakes Ever
I pieced this concoction together from a few recipes I found. They are very lemony and taste great with a fresh raspberry on top. My husband, who claimed not to like lemon cupcakes, loves them. Don't try to make these without a muffin cup, the cake is too delicate to be on its own.
Cupcakes: Makes 24
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
Grated zest of 3 lemons (3 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix butter and sugar together at medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time and wait until the egg is all mixed in before adding the next one.
- Add zest and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in three batches with two batches of buttermilk and lemon juice in between. Beat until just combined after each addition.
- Place batter in lined cups filling about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake until golden, cake tester comes out clean, or about 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from the muffin tins and frosting.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, strawberries, and/or mint leaves if desired.
1 1/4 c. butter (2 1/2 sticks)
2 tsp. lemon zest
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar
Beat butter, zest and juice with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating to spreading consistency. Makes 2 3/4 cups.