Thursday, March 18, 2010

Busy Day Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting

My sister introduced this recipe to me and it is my go-to recipe for a quick cake or cupcakes. This make a fabulous cupcake. It's so quick and easy I never buy boxed cake mix anymore. In fact, I was supposed to make peanut butter cupcakes for a church function tonight. They just would not turn out for me no matter what I did. I ended up running out of cocoa powder and had to give up. I whipped up a batch of these cupcakes in no time. I topped them with cream cheese frosting and a strawberry sliver. No one (except those who asked me to make the peanut butter ones) was the wiser. In fact, many people said these were their favorite ones.

Busy Day Cake

1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add milk, butter and vanilla. Beat with mixer on low until combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Pour batter into greased and floured 8" round baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Frost with your favorite frosting.
For cupcakes bake 20 minutes.


Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
5 3/4 c - 6 1/4 c powdered sugar

Cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.

1 comment:

Janae said...

I made this with honey instead of sugar. Increase the flour to 1 1/2 c. I used 2 1/2 T. milk pwd and 2/3 c. water to replace milk. delish.